A scenic mountain village which overlooks the Iga-Yamato province…
Full of natural and historical atmosphere.
A beautiful landscape with dynamic change of seasons along with the prefecture’s official scenic beauty Mt. Konoyama can be enjoyed in our village.
Why not delve into our lasting history while listening to the song of birds and the sound of streams?
Mt. Konoyama (elev. 618.8 m) is a specified prefectural park where a variety of Rhododendron turns them into crimson and pink in spring.
From the observatory, you will enjoy different 360 degree panorama for each season.
Konoji is assumed to be erected in 740 (Tenpyo 12, era of Emperor Shomu) by monk Gyoki and established its fame by the end of 8th century (early Heian period).
“Dozo Bosatsu Hankazo (Bronze statue of Bodhisattva in half-lotus position)” is specified as one of national important Cultural Properties. (Currently entrusted to Nara National Museum)
Ushigamine lwaya Masugata
Masugata-lwa is a giant basin shaped rock (16m in height). This rock and the lwaya grotto were
originally the same giant boulder.
A fallen part of the grotto has Roku-shaku (approx. six feet) statue of Vairocana carved in its middle. According to legend, it is said that Kobo-Daishi carved the Vairocana and left chisel and hammer he used in the basin.
A view of black rocks and pebbles that spreads to approximately 25 m in width and 650 m in length, creating a scene as if lava is flowing down the hillside of Konoyama.
You will hear water flowing under the rocks, but it cannot be seen.
Kehara-haiji Temple Ruins
Cornerstones of the main hall and the south gate are preserved as evidence that a large scale complete temple compound comparable to that of Nara’s in 8th century existed here.
Daishoji Temple Ruins Shidare-zakura (Weeping cherry tree)
A burst of flowers blossoming on the branches that grew to all directions is an overwhelming view. It is said that this tree is more than 300 years old, yet still entertaining people vigorously with its beauty every year.
This historic shrine tells the architectual style of Muromachi period, such as thick ceder roof
and kaerumata (frog-leg) strut decoration. A record of its refurbishment dating back to 1578 until present is preserved. Among them, 16 recording tags before 1867 are specified as Important Cultural Property.
This ancient branch temple of Todaiji Kaidanin has 88 Jizos (guardian deity of travelers and children) placed by Chiryu-Shonin, who contributed to the rejuvenation of this temple. The gentle smile of each Jizo would relax the mind of those who see them.
Museum of History and Folklore
A school auditorium of former Kasuga elementary school built in 1903, now used as a museum. An architectural design in Meiji period such as Irimoya-tsumairi style roof is used in this building, which is rare for school buildings. Valuable historical materials from pottery to tools excavated at Oko ruins are displayed to tell the history of Yamazoe village.
Open:9 AM to 4 PM
Reservation for visit is needed in advance.